La Fonera - 45 minutes of madness

Just been trying to get my Fonera router up and running. I live in The Netherlands where you can buy a Fonera on the fon site for about 40 euro. A friend got it for me on eBay though for 11 euro inclusive shipping. Nice.
Of course, many people have got them free :)) Lucky you!

So, anyway, the story of setting up the bloody thing. Well, it's not much of a story, but it goes like this.
I plugged it in and could see NEITHER of the bloody networks. Neither the public nor the private one. I couldn't see it with my laptop, or my girlfriend's VAIO. Not a good sign, and very annoying. I tried attaching it directly to my cable modem, because I originally had it plugged into my existing wireless router, but that didn't help.

I read some stuff online, and managed to logon to 169.254.255.2 where you can see the Fonera admin console after configuring my LAN connection to a fixed IP of 169.254.255.1
Ok, so at least now I knew the thing actually worked.
I then set the IP to a fixed IP address, just in case it was having trouble getting an IP from my router.
But I still couldn't see either of the Fonera's wireless networks!

I then pulled the plug on the Fonera (I wanted to check it was connecting to my router properly, even though this had nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't see the wireless networks) and plugged it back in again.


To cut an already long story short, I could suddenly see both networks clear as day in both laptops. There is absolutely no explanation for this. Even if it was having trouble with the DHCP, I should still have been able to see at very least the Fonera's private wireless network (some users have reported not being able to see the public "FON_AP" network - see this FAQ)

So I think it was just a weird glitch.
Anyway, anyone with the same problem, just try pulling the plug and then plugging it back in. I think that's what did it in the end!

Comments

  1. sA9b4A Very good blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9Olk7n Hello all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment, thank you!

Popular posts (all time)

Unsync and Remove iPhone Contacts From Facebook

WhatsApp from your Phone & Computer at the same time (PC/Mac)

How I Fixed Mac OSX Lion NTFS issue

How to get an SSH server running on a Mac