iPhone upgrade: 1.1.4 (ZiPhone) to 2.1 (Custom ipsw) [via 2.0.2 QuickPwn]

I followed a bunch of stuff I read on the Code Retard blog and found my way from a 1.1.4 iPhone (unlocked and jailbroken with ZiPhone) to a 2.1 iPhone (curtesy of Pwnage)

Now I'm going to be short and sweet.

- First I installed iTunes 8. Now that was kinda unintentional, but heh, what can you do!

- I hooked my 1.1.4 iPhone (ZiPhoned) up to iTunes 8.

(You can skip the red bits if you want because I finally resorted to custom firmware)

- I did Shift+Restore (hold down Shift and press Restore button) and loaded up an original 2.0.2 firmware image.

- After the 2.0.2 firmware was in place (took a while) iTunes was moaning about the SIM card being no good blah blah blah. Don't worry, that's what QuickPwn is for.

- I then ran QuickPwn 2.1 GUI and voila my phone was unlocked.

- iTunes was happy again

- Then I tried to upgrade to firmware from 2.0.2 to 2.1 in iTunes. Something that the Code Retard blog had said was possible (I thought). Anyway, it didn't work for me and I don't know why. My phone was showing the QuickPwn Pineapple, and then the catoon of a dude saying something is Russian(?) and then it would reboot.

- iTunes wasn't recognising it... oops.

- Anyway, I managed to get it into DFU mode (not exactly sure how) and iTunes finally recognised it. So it was ready to  receive a new firmware.

(This is when I decided to go for the custom firmware, as recommended by Code Retard in another post)

- I got the custom firmware via BitTorrent and it was a very healthy torrent I can tell you. Here it is. I had it downloaded in no time! 
[!!! N.B. THIS CUSTOM FIRMWARE IS FOR THE 2G iPhone ONLY !!! - See the Code Retard post for the 3G custom firmware.]

- In iTunes 8 I simply did a Shift+Restore (hold down shift and press the Restore button) and selected the custom firmware. 
(According to the Code Retard article on upgrading to a custom firmware you DO NOT need to put the iPhone in DFU mode first, so don't! Just have your iPhone connected to iTunes as normal.)

- A short while later my iPhone was upgraded to 2.1 and iTunes recognised it immediately.

- I was able to restore the backup that iTunes had previously made before I tried (and failed) to upgrade to 2.1 via iTunes.

- This results in all your personal customised iPhone settings being restored, like ringtone settings, SpringBoard settings etc.

- Then I did a Sync and got all my lovely music, photos, and videos back.

- Then I was a pretty happy bunny ;-)

- 2.1 firmware means AppStore means free legit applications. And the added benefit of the free apps downloaded from AppStore is that if you check the box in the Apps tab in iTunes 8, iTunes will Sync any apps that you've downloaded from AppStore! This means if you do an upgrade to another iPhone software/firmware version, even though this wipes the entire iPhone, iTunes will put all your AppStore apps back on the iPhone when you next Sync it. Great!



Comments

Popular posts (all time)

Unsync and Remove iPhone Contacts From Facebook

WhatsApp from your Phone & Computer at the same time (PC/Mac)

How I Fixed Mac OSX Lion NTFS issue

How to get an SSH server running on a Mac