Fix Windows Installer "Invalid Drive" error


Problem
You may get an error like this when trying to install something on Windows (Windows 7 in my case).


You may assume it is caused by an inaccessible network drive (e.g. H in my case) and that disconnecting the drive will solve the problem. It didn't for me.

Rebooting also didn't solve the problem.

Then I found this Microsoft article, which was rubbish.


Then finally I found this Microsoft Technet article and the top answer over there solved my problem.

Solution
The Technet article recommends checking the following 2 registry locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the first location I found this. Note how there is one reference to drive H, the rest are to a system var %USERPROFILE%.

Simply modifying the path H:\Favorites to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites solved the problem immediately. The installer ran perfectly without throwing up the "Invalid Drive" error.

Comments

Popular posts (all time)

Unsync and Remove iPhone Contacts From Facebook

WhatsApp from your Phone & Computer at the same time (PC/Mac)

How I Fixed Mac OSX Lion NTFS issue

How to get an SSH server running on a Mac